Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Film: Molly's Game








GENRE: Drama, Biography
RATING: R for language & some violence
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 20 minutes
STARRING: Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty, The Martian)
Idris Elba (Dark Tower, Thor), Kevin Costner (Hidden Figures)
DIRECTOR: Aaron Sorkin (newcomer)
WRITER: Aaron Sorkin (West Wing, Social Network, A Few Good Men)
PLOT: True story of Molly Bloom, a world-class skier who ran the world’s most exclusive poker game and lost it all.  

FULL DISCLOSURE: Love Aaron Sorkin. Been waiting for this all year.

STORY STUFF: Sorkin is a brilliant storyteller. He knows how to suck me in right from the beginning. I was engrossed the entire time. At one point, I thought it might be too long but that could be because I really had to pee. I was trying to think of what I would leave out of the story, and I couldn’t think of anything. Every bit of the plot links together and weaves a compelling story. I am in awe (as per usual with Sorkin).

ACTING STUFF: Chastain is wonderfully cast as Molly, as is Elba as her reluctant lawyer. I loved many of their verbal sparring scenes. Costner shines as Molly’s dad. Even Michael Cera (Arrested Development) is awesome as Player X. He plays a dick really well. Great stuff all around.   

ARTISTIC STUFF: There’s nothing too flashy about the film. Some of the early poker scenes are edited with gusto that creates pulsing energy. Overall, though, it’s pretty standard fare. I kind of wish the soundtrack was a bit better so that was a lost opportunity.

VERDICT: Five stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You like great dialogue and an interesting story.
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Best of 2017, 2018 Previews

No comments: