Thursday, December 17, 2015

Film: Star Wars-The Force Awakens








GENRE: Action Adventure
RATING: PG-13 for usual sci-fi violence
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 15 minutes
STARRING: Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones, Blade Runner, Star Wars)
Daisy Ridley (newcomer); John Boyega (Attack the Block)
DIRECTOR: JJ Abrams (Star Trek, Mission Impossible III)
WRITERS: Abrams (Lost, Alias, Armageddon, Regarding Henry)
Lawrence Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark)
PLOT: A droid has valuable info and a large object needs to be destroyed. Sound familiar?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a gigantic Star Wars fan. I don’t dress up for the movies, but I have lots of action figures and ships, including the Millennium Falcon. I also camped overnight for Phantom Menace tickets. Surprisingly, I don’t regret doing it.

STORY STUFF: I felt like a kid again watching this film. The story just brings you in from the very start. I know that history repeats itself, so some of the storyline callbacks make sense to me. The dialogue is fantastic, full of humourous lines and grave explanations. Probably the best Star Wars writing since Empire. There is hardly a dull moment in this film. I hope all of you can avoid spoilers, so you can enjoy this film to the fullest.

ACTING STUFF: Ford still rocks it as Han Solo. He may be older but he is still chock full of grumpy charm. I found I liked Chewbacca a lot more in this installment; he got more stuff to do. Ridley & Boyega are amazing as the new heroes, they quickly get you rooting for them. BB8 is adorable as predicted. And Adam Driver does a pretty bang-up job as Kylo Ren. There is something he does a couple times that usually ticks me off, but I felt was well-earned in this film.

ARTISTIC STUFF: What a beautifully shot film. The cinematography is mesmerizing. Abrams does a great job of using wide shots to show contrast and perfectly framed close-ups for intensity. I don’t know why this was done in 3D. Only two or three scenes seemed to benefit from it. The music is fantastic as always. As for art direction, I loved seeing the Falcon again (it got its own applause in the theatre). I will say for Empire (now First Order) architectural design, invest in some railings! Being somewhat afraid of heights, some hand railings would definitely put my mind at ease.

VERDICT: SSSSS (yeah, you heard me)
SEE IT IF: You want to relive your child-like excitement for adventure.
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Spotlight, The Big Short

No comments: